Although back-to-school can be an exciting time of year, it also means more exposure to illness and infections. Supporting your immune system is a great first-line defense during cold and flu season. Check out these 5 proactive steps you can take this year:
1. Reduce sugar intake. Having a diet high in sugar/refined carbohydrates can depress your immune system. Staying well hydrated and adopting a whole foods diet with limited sugar intake can help support you during cold and flu season.
2. Stress management. Increased cortisol levels can make you more susceptible to illness. Practice regular stress coping techniques to stay healthy this year!
3. Get adequate sleep. See 10 tips for better sleep posted on Monday
4. Support your digestive health. >75% of the immune system originates in the gut so maintaining a healthy GI tract is an important part of supporting your immune health.
5. Come to our immune system presentation in a couple weeks (stay tuned for details)!
*Chat with your naturopathic doctor for more details!